You are here: Parishes and Monasteries → North Carolina Parishes → Dormition of the Theotokos (Greensboro)
The Dormition of the Theotokos in Greensboro, North Carolina was established in 1946 with approximately 40 families. From the late 1930s the Greensboro community had no church building, and the families rented a hall for services. The priest from Winston-Salem, North Carolina, conducted services once a month in this hall for families from Greensboro and Burlington. In 1944 a general meeting of approximately 40 families met and elected a building fund committee to erect a Greek Orthodox Church. The founding members included Harry Pappas, Nick Kontoulas, James Kazazes, and Matthew Pappas. In November of 1948 the first church opened in a two-story house with Father Nicholas Macropoulos as the first priest.
The present church was completed in May of 1975 and the fellowship hall was completed in 1979. For future expansion a house and lot adjoining the land was purchased in 2002. The Parish originally served Greensboro and Burlington, North Carolina, but now serves only the Greensboro area and has a significant number of converts in its membership.
The 150 parish families under the leadership of Father Dionysios Listermann-Vierling have made Dormition of The Theotokos a sympathetic, friendly community which readily accepts and welcomes to our faith converts and other Orthodox families.
To visit the parish website, please click here.